Sunday, October 16, 2011

Women's Portrayal in Advertising: A Rant

Ahem.

*Steps onto virtual soapbox*           


           Earlier this week, I mentioned to a few of my friends at college how I always feel guilty after I eat a couple cookies and don’t do anything exercise wise that day to balance it out.  It wasn’t so bad during high school when I was at home, but I think that the stigma that surrounds college and the dreaded “freshman fifteen” has gotten to me. 

            Later that day, my friend sent me a link to this video about the way that women are portrayed in the media, and especially in advertising.  If you have the time, I would seriously recommend watching it...believe me, it’s worth it.    



            I’m glad my friend sent this to me, because it certainly made me feel better about myself.  But then it did something else…it made me angry.  It made me angry at the western ideal of beauty, and how we’re conditioned from a young age to believe a standard that just a tiny percentage of the population will ever be able to attain.  I mean, even as little kids girls we’re are shown an ideal of beautiful that is unrealistic.  Yes, I’m talking about the Barbie doll here.  I personally never was much inclined to play with the Barbie, but I think that I’m in the minority when I say that I’ve never owned a Barbie doll of my own.  Think back to your childhood…what did your Barbie look like?  With her petite frame, waist that was tinier then her head, gigantic bust, and ever-growing list of accessories, she pretty much kills two birds with one stone: she reinforces the western ideal of sexy in the minds of young girls, and she sells kids early to the idea of consumerism…if your Barbie has the new Christmas/Halloween/Justin Beiber outfit she’ll be more fun to play with!   

            Watching this video, as well as the video lecture “Killing Us Softly” by Mrs. Jean Kilbourne, really started me thinking about the way that the media is affecting us.  Do we see tv shows that feature a slightly chubby girl but never comment on it?  (I know that there are overweight characters on television and movies, but their weight is always called into notice, shunning them if they look less then the ideal that we as a culture are told to strive for.)  Not only do women and girls feel bad about themselves because they can’t be the tiny, lithe, tall, sexy things that we see in magazines and in adds, but the way that many men look at us changes as well.  Men may see real girls, real women, as second rate because they don’t fit into the beautiful image that we see in the movies.

            Anecdote time!  When I was in junior year of high school, I had a crush on a guy that sat at the desk opposite me in my AP studio art class.  This boy was slightly heavy, had a very boyish face, and generally didn’t look like the stereotypical high school idiot.  I didn’t even think about that, I thought he was funny and nice and after much pushing from my mom, I actually asked him (stomach twisting this whole time) to prom.  He said no.  Now, I wouldn’t have been so hurt by this if it weren’t for his justification…his reason for turning me down was that he liked skinny girls and I wasn’t thin enough.

Wasn’t thin enough.

The ass.

The next time I saw him in class, my friend that worked at the table next to me told him to jump in a lake.  So much for nice and funny eh?  And you think you know a guy…

            And now if I may direct your attention back to the video above…while watching the video I felt the ways that the human body, the female body especially, is treated in advertising absolutely disgusts me.  There are ads of topless women, carefully posed to conceal the nipples, to sell brand name jeans.  There are sandwich ads that say things along the lines of “is 7 inches long enough for you?” showing a woman about to bite into the sub sandwich.  Gee I wonder what that’s supposed to make people think of.  In many ads, the women are clearly shown as sex objects, somehow silenced, or even turning into the objects that the ad is advertising.  What do I think of this?  It’s wrong.  Plain wrong.  Disgustingly wrong. 

            That night I was talking to my roommate about the same topic and I asked her what she, a business major, thought of the whole subject of the portrayal of woman in the media.  She replied, “I did a paper on whether or not sex sells…and it does.  I don’t always agree with it, but from a business standpoint, it makes sense to continue with what works.”  Wow.

            But even more then the business big wigs making the decisions, I’m ashamed of the artists.  As an art major, as an artist, in general it infuriates me that there are graphic designers that sell their souls (figuratively speaking) to the large corporations and mistreat women in the world of advertising.  Even more then infuriates me…it makes me ashamed.  It’s so wrong, and the artificial ideals of perfection that are being perpetuated are harmful. 

I guess that when all’s said and done, the only thing that I can actually say to those behind these things is this....

  What. The. Hell.  

9 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same!! I concur on every point you just made!

    That SUCKS that that jerkwad was so mean to you, that's just horrible. Give me his phone # and I'll cuss at him in Chinese for you. ;) And possibly wushu him.

    Did I ever mention how my sister has a guyfriend who she likes a lot, and he likes her, and tho he's a GREAT guy, he is waiting for his white, blond-haired, blue-eyed Christian homemaker to come along? So many people assume that Asian girls are either totally slutty or just complete nerds, and don't even approach us. ORRR they assume that Asian girls are just submissive, and love them because they're sexy and sweet and do whatever they want. Where's the balance?? It works in reverse as well, white girls don't even consider Asian men, because they don't coincide with American society's classic values of sexiness. And people wonder why Asians tend to only date within our race.

    I just got tired of it all, and stopped looking for love. And that's when I found it with..omg, an ASIAN. And DESPITE all the "american" stereotypes that Asian men are super nerdy, gross, unaffectionate, arrogant, any-or-all-of-the-above, I'm happier than I've ever been. And America can go and teach their Grandmothers how to suck eggs.

    Long comment is long. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post~

    This sort of thing has been on my mind a lot lately, between that trailer and KUS4. I think you explained it all quite well and succinctly. Also, that story makes me ANGRY. You are wonderful and gorgeous and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, mkay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anila...and I'm so glad you linked me to KUS4, because it really made me think about a lot, and really opened my eyes to how much of a problem it is in our society.

    Oh man, when I posted that trailer on my Facebook profile, one of the guys from Fossil commented that it was "a bunch of feminist propaganda." I deleted it, but I wish I'd left it up so I could set you on him...

    ReplyDelete
  4. alsdkhg
    GIMME HIS NAME
    I WILL
    WREAK HAVOC.

    No, I kid. I am trying to be less angry on the internet.

    (Unfortunately whenever I post something like that I'm worried that some of our mutual friends will do that. C, R, or T specifically. There have been times that I've considered warning them off in-post, but that would just constitute an invitation, particularly for C. <-- hopefully cagey avoiding-of-names will still make sense.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're trying to be less angry on the internet, you need to start avoiding goodreads...but that's the fun kind of angry...and as long as the arguments are well developed, I'd say it's fine.

    And yes, I do get the cagey avoiding-of-names.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I do. I've been much less angry on Goodreads, though! *proud of self*

    Figured you would. Le sigh. It does make me sad that I have to worry about that even with friends (and guys who should really know better).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alas, the internet can be a dangerous place...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So it can.

    (Sorry for diverting the conversation, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I just finished another baaaaaad YA book for NetGalley...I'm going to have to break what I just said about being angry on Goodreads, because there will be blood...this one is as bad in plot as The Goddess Test and worse on writing!

    ReplyDelete